A Beginner's Guide to Above Ground Swimming Pools
Above ground swimming pool sizes
Above ground swimming pools come in a variety of sizes to accommodate different backyard spaces and family sizes. Here are some common sizes of above ground swimming pools:
- 12 feet: This is a small-sized pool that is ideal for smaller backyards or for families with only a few people.
- 15 feet: This is a medium-sized pool that can accommodate a family of 4-5 people comfortably.
- 18 feet: This is a larger-sized pool that can accommodate a family of 6-7 people comfortably.
- 24 feet: This is a very large-sized pool that can accommodate larger families or groups of people.
- 30 feet or more: These are the largest-sized pools available, typically used for commercial purposes or for larger events.
It is important to consider the available space in your backyard and your family's needs when selecting an above ground pool size. It is also recommended to check with your local building codes and regulations to ensure you are complying with any size restrictions or requirements.
Above ground swimming pool brands
There are many above ground swimming pool brands available on the market. Here are some of the most popular and well-known brands:
- Intex: Intex is a popular brand of above ground pools that offers a variety of sizes and styles at affordable prices.
- Bestway: Bestway is another popular brand of above ground pools that offers a wide range of sizes and features, including inflatable and steel frame options.
- Coleman: Coleman is a trusted brand in outdoor equipment and also offers a selection of above ground pools, including steel frame and inflatable options.
- Summer Waves: Summer Waves is a brand that offers a variety of affordable above ground pools, including steel frame and inflatable options.
- Splash Pools: Splash Pools offers a range of above ground pools, including steel frame and resin options, that are designed to be durable and long-lasting.
When selecting an above ground pool brand, it is important to consider factors such as the pool's size, materials, and features, as well as the brand's reputation for quality and customer service.
Above ground swimming pool recalls
Like all products, above ground swimming pools may be subject to recalls if they are found to have defects or safety issues. Here are some recent examples of above ground swimming pool recalls:
- Summer Escapes 10- and 12-foot frame pools: In 2018, these pools were recalled due to a defect that could cause the pool to collapse, posing an injury hazard to swimmers.
- Intex inflatable water slides: In 2017, these water slides were recalled due to a defect that could cause the slide to deflate, posing a fall hazard to users.
- Splash Pools resin pool deck kits: In 2016, these deck kits were recalled due to a defect that could cause the deck to collapse, posing an injury hazard to users.
- Bestway Lay-Z-Spa inflatable hot tubs: In 2014, these hot tubs were recalled due to a defect that could cause the pump to overheat and catch fire, posing a fire hazard to users.
- Doughboy above ground swimming pools: In 2013, these pools were recalled due to a defect that could cause the pool's ladder to detach, posing a fall hazard to swimmers.
It is important to stay informed about any recalls or safety issues related to your above ground swimming pool, and to follow all manufacturer instructions and safety guidelines when using and maintaining your pool. If you suspect a defect or safety issue with your pool, stop using it immediately and contact the manufacturer for assistance.
Above ground swimming pool cost
The cost of an above ground swimming pool can vary depending on the size, materials, features, and installation requirements. Here is a general overview of the costs associated with above ground swimming pools:
- Pool Cost: The cost of the pool itself can range from a few hundred dollars for a small, inflatable pool to several thousand dollars for a larger, high-end pool with advanced features. The average cost for a mid-range above ground pool is around $3,000 to $6,000.
- Installation Cost: If you choose to have your pool professionally installed, installation costs can add several thousand dollars to the overall cost. The cost of installation can vary depending on the pool size, location, and any additional features or requirements.
- Maintenance Cost: There are ongoing costs associated with maintaining an above ground pool, such as chemical treatments, water testing, and cleaning supplies. These costs can add up over time, and can vary depending on the size of the pool and frequency of use.
- Accessories Cost: You may also want to purchase accessories for your pool, such as a pool cover, ladder, or filtration system. These costs can also vary depending on the type and quality of the accessories.
Overall, the total cost of an above ground swimming pool can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on the size, materials, features, and installation requirements. It is important to carefully consider your budget and needs when selecting an above ground pool to ensure you get the best value for your money.
Above ground swimming pool features
Above ground swimming pools come in a range of sizes and designs, and may offer different features and options depending on the manufacturer and model. Here are some common above ground swimming pool features:
- Material: Above ground pools are typically made from either steel, resin, or aluminum. Steel is the most common material, and is known for its durability and affordability.
- Shape: Above ground pools come in a variety of shapes, including round, oval, and rectangular. Round pools are typically the most affordable and easiest to install, while rectangular pools offer more space for swimming and exercise.
- Size: Above ground pools come in a range of sizes to fit different backyard spaces and accommodate different family sizes. Small pools may be as small as 12 feet in diameter, while larger pools can be up to 30 feet or more.
- Depth: Above ground pools typically offer a range of depths, with shallower pools being ideal for young children and deeper pools offering more space for swimming and diving.
- Filtration System: Most above ground pools come with a filtration system to help keep the water clean and clear. Some models may offer advanced filtration options, such as sand or cartridge filters.
- Accessories: Above ground pools may come with accessories such as a pool ladder, pool cover, or pool vacuum. Other accessories, such as pool lights or waterfalls, may be available as add-ons.
- Safety Features: Some above ground pools may come with built-in safety features, such as fencing or alarms, to help prevent accidents and ensure a safe swimming experience.
When selecting an above ground pool, it is important to consider the available features and options to find a model that meets your needs and budget.
Above ground swimming pool vs In-ground pool
Above ground swimming pools and in-ground pools each have their own unique advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice for you will depend on your budget, backyard space, and personal preferences. Here are some of the key differences between above ground and in-ground swimming pools:
- Cost: Above ground swimming pools are generally more affordable than in-ground pools, with prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. In-ground pools can cost tens of thousands of dollars or more, depending on the size, materials, and features.
- Installation: Above ground pools are typically easier and quicker to install than in-ground pools, and may not require professional installation. In-ground pools require more extensive excavation and construction, and must be installed by a professional.
- Size and Shape: In-ground pools offer more flexibility in terms of size and shape, as they can be customized to fit the available space and your personal preferences. Above ground pools come in a range of standard sizes and shapes.
- Lifespan: In-ground pools are generally more durable and long-lasting than above ground pools, and may last for decades with proper maintenance. Above ground pools typically have a shorter lifespan, and may need to be replaced after several years.
- Maintenance: Both types of pools require regular maintenance to keep the water clean and clear, but in-ground pools may require more extensive maintenance due to their larger size and more complex filtration systems.
- Aesthetics: In-ground pools are often considered more aesthetically pleasing than above ground pools, as they can be integrated into the landscape and may offer more design options.
Ultimately, the choice between an above ground or in-ground pool will depend on your budget, space constraints, and personal preferences. Both types of pools offer the opportunity for fun, relaxation, and exercise, and can provide a great addition to your backyard.
Above ground swimming pool Saftey
Safety is a top priority when it comes to enjoying an above ground swimming pool. Here are some important safety tips to keep in mind:
- Install a Fence: It is important to install a fence or other barrier around your above ground pool to prevent young children and pets from accessing the pool area unsupervised. The fence should be at least 4 feet tall and have a self-closing, self-latching gate.
- Use a Pool Cover: When the pool is not in use, use a pool cover to keep the water clean and prevent accidents. Make sure the cover is securely in place and cannot be easily removed by children.
- Supervise Swimmers: Always supervise swimmers, especially children, when they are in the pool. Keep a close eye on them and be prepared to intervene if necessary.
- Use Pool Alarms: Consider installing pool alarms that sound an alert if someone enters the pool area without permission.
- Teach Swimming Skills: It is important for swimmers to have basic swimming skills and to understand pool safety rules. Enroll children in swimming lessons at an early age to help them develop these skills.
- Maintain the Pool: Regularly maintain the pool, including keeping the water clean and properly balanced, to prevent accidents and keep swimmers safe.
- Have Safety Equipment on Hand: Keep safety equipment, such as life jackets and flotation devices, on hand in case of an emergency.
By following these safety tips and taking appropriate precautions, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable swimming experience for everyone using your above ground pool.
Above ground swimming pools are a popular and affordable option for those looking to add a pool to their backyard. They come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and designs, and offer a range of features and options to fit different needs and budgets. When selecting an above ground pool, it is important to consider factors such as size, materials, features, and installation requirements, as well as ongoing maintenance and safety considerations. By following proper maintenance and safety guidelines, you can enjoy a fun and safe swimming experience in your above ground pool.